Friday, May 25, 2007

Bad Dogs!

A little background. We have 4 dogs, 2 little ones and 2 bigs ones. We have a fence on the side of the house for the little dogs and they have a dog door in the side of the entryway to get to their pen.

The rest of the yard is fenced in for the big dogs, a Black Lab with really bad knees and a Golden mix. We live about 1/2 block from the lake and Magnum loves the water. He has not been able to go swimming for the past couple of years because of his bad knees. Even though swimming is the best exercise for arthritis, he just hasn't been able to handle it. We recently took in my ex-son-in-law's Chocolate Lab(temporarily) as he is having trouble finding an apartment that will take dogs. So now we have 3 big dogs. If you know anything about Labs, you know they love water. I let the 3 big dogs out to potty this afternoon. It's nice out so I didn't think twice about them. They were out for quite a while so I went to check on them. Duncan, the Golden mix was in the yard, Snickers, the Chocolate Lab came running up to the fence nad Magnum, the Black Lab was nowhere to be seen.

Hmmmmmmm, I'm thinking. How did they get out? I went to let Snickers in and he was wet so had obviously been down to the lake for a swim. Then I started looking and calling for Magnum and, sure enough, he was missing. I sent Erica down to the lake to look for her dog and there he was, eating a dead fish. He was all wet, so had been for a swim also. When she found him, he put his head and tail down and came to her. He knew he was naughty. It used to be when we would walk him on the lake that when he found a dead fish, if he ever got hold of it, you couldn't get it out of his mouth. They have amazingly strong jaws!

I still am not sure how they got out but I'm going to be watching them while they are out now.

No comments: